The Department of Management Sciences and Technology is among the most research-oriented departments internationally in its specializations. This is evident from the:
The research in the MST department focus on the following subjects: digital transformation, digital marketing, operational research and quantitative techniques, e-business and e-commerce, logistics and transport, supply-chain management, Omni-channel retail, information systems, enterprise resource management, innovation management and entrepreneurship, strategic management and planning, change management, organizational behavior, human resource management, mobile business, business intelligence and data mining, interactive media design, information systems and business reengineering, software engineering, programming languages and security systems, financial and quantitative applications, financial engineering etc.
The faculty, post-doc senior researchers, doctoral students, researchers and post-graduate students of the Department have published numerous articles in leading international journals including those with high impact factor which are among the leading journals of the respective research areas.
More than 330 papers have been presented in the last 15 years at international conferences, 10 of which have received the Best Paper Award at conferences of international scope, such as: Academy of Management, International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, International System Administration and Networking Conference, and more. The faculty are also members of editorial boards in at least 40 international journals. Finally, the faculty members and the researchers of the Department received many awards internationally, and over 15 faculty members have books published internationally by major publishing houses abroad in several languages, including English, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Polish and Korean.
The Research Laboratories of the Department are:
• Management Science Laboratory - MSL
• Electronic Commerce and Electronic Business Laboratory- ELTRUN
• Management of Information Systems and Technologies Laboratory - ISTLab
• Business Analytics Laboratory
• Laboratory of Management, Strategy and Entrepreneurship
Management Science Laboratory - MSL
Director: Professor George Ioannou
The Management Science Laboratory (MSL) is now a leading ISO-certified research center in Europe, conducting research and advisory work in the areas of quantitative analysis, modeling and optimization methods, operations and supply chain management, transportation and logistics, financial engineering, business transformation and strategy, innovation and knowledge management, entrepreneurship, and human resources management.
With a core team of over 30 researchers (about half of them doctoral students), working on many projects funded from the corporate sector, the European Commission, and National Funding Agencies, equipped with state of the art facilities including decision technology software, ERP systems, and with an active visiting faculty program and a truly international network of partnerships, MSL has created a unique reservoir of expertise in the shape of its four Research Centers:
1. InnKnow: Innovation and Knowledge Management Center, headed by Klas-Eric Soderquist
2. OPeR: Operations Management and ERP Systems Center, headed by George Ioannou
3. FRC: Financial Engineering Research Center, headed by Apostolos Refenes
4. ORDeS: Operations Research and Decision Systems Center, headed by Christos Tarantilis
Electronic Commerce and Electronic Business Laboratory - ELTRUN
Director: Professor Georgios I. Doukidis
ELTRUN with its 35 researchers is the largest eBusiness research laboratory in European Business Schools. The laboratory focuses in the fields of electronic commerce technologies / systems, innovative e-business models, collaborative electronic commerce and supply-chain management, electronic payment systems and electronic banking, mobile e-business, digital marketing and social networks, adoption of e-business and Internet services, social dimension of e-business technologies / systems / models, digital innovation and entrepreneurship, personalized digital services, usability analysis systems, comprehensive retail business and e-business, multichannel and omnichannel commerce, digital transformation, e-government, digital transformation, factory of the future systems, e-gamefication systems etc.
ELTRUN was established in 1992 and has participated successfully in more than 40 large European funded projects in the above fields with more than 200 large international companies and leading Universities such as MIT, Cambridge, LSE etc.. It consists of five research groups that operate as independent, but strongly consolidated units:
1. IMES: Interactive Marketing and Electronic Services, headed by Adam Vrechopoulos
2. SCORE: Supply & Demand Management. Collaboration and Electronic Services, headed by Katerina Pramatari
3. IML: Intelligent Media Lab, headed by Georgios Lekakos
4. ADOPT: Algorithms and Discrete Optimisation, headed by Ioannis Mourtos
5. EBISE: E-Business Innovation, Strategy and Entrepreneurship, headed by Georgios Doukidis
Management of Information Systems and Technologies Laboratory - ISTLab
Director: As. Professor Nancy Pouloudi
The laboratory supports research in the fields of: Information Systems Management, Management Technologies, Intra-Operational and Inter-Operational Information Systems, Electronic Learning, Enterprise and Business Process Measurement, Digital Transformation and Innovation, Digital Entrepreneurship, Influence of Information Systems on Socio-Economic Development.
ISTLab consists of five federated research groups:
1. IRIS: Interdisciplinary Research on the Information Society, headed by Nancy Pouloudi
2. OIS: Organizational Information Systems, headed by Angeliki Poulymenakou
3. SENSE: Software Engineering and Security, headed by Diomidis Spinellis
4. WRC: Wireless Research Center, headed by George Giaglis
5. CUBE: Center of stUdies on Business intelligencE, headed by Damianos Chatziantoniou
Business Analytics Laboratory
Director: Professor Diomidis Spinellis
The laboratory supports research in the subject of Business Analytics and in particular in the following areas, focusing on the needs of all kinds of organizations:
1. Methods, technologies and applications for collecting, processing, displaying, modeling and analyzing data.
2. Software and data analysis applications related to the subject of the laboratory.
3. Data analysis systems and data analysis applications in the development and operation of any kind of systems.
4. Methods, technologies and virtualization applications and solve large scale optimization problems.
Laboratory of Management, Strategy and Entrepreneurship
Director: Professor Dimitrios Bourantas
The laboratory supports research in the field of "Management, Strategy and Entrepreneurship" and in particular in the following subjects:
• Management-Business Administration
• Business Strategy
• Human Resource Management
• Organizational Behavior - Leadership
• Organizational Psychology